Friday, April 30, 2010

CHICAGO NAMING CONVENTION

I posted two new pictures on the foto page. One is of a bar called the Belford. It's at Pulaski and Belmont in the city. Seems like a nothing name until you recollect that Pulaski was called Crawford in Chicago until the 1950s (or 1960s, pending the litigation). The second picture is of the El-Mont (telephone MULberry-1666) at Elston and Montrose.

This is actually a pretty common naming convention on the North Side of Chicago. I am not sure, but I assume that on the South Side the numbers make this more difficult (the Damen75th is a funny name for a bar). It is still kind of cool, and as I encounter them I intend to try to get more photos. The Lawrel (Lawrence and Elston) is on the hit parade. I also know that there are other old ones on Pulaski that use Crawford in the name.

Anyone know any others?

P.S. This is post one of the obsessions blog. We'll see

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you only interested in bars? These things are all over the suburbs too, including the Golf Mill mall at Golf and Milwaukee.

9:12 AM  
Blogger David said...

Not only bars. They are just where I see them the most. I did not even think of Golf Mill!

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home