Thursday, November 20, 2008

FLYING HIGHER AND FASTER

I just got back from a three day visit to New York City. I will put my pictures of the Chrysler Building, Brooklyn Bridge, and South Seaport area on the fotoblog when I get a chance. Maybe tonight. However, I had some odd experiences flying.

Going to New York (really Newark, aka EWR) was uneventful. Good flight. Half empty plane. There was a woman with two kids across the aisle from me. She apologized BEFORE WE TOOK OFF, planning on her kids being hellions. In the event, they fell asleep over Indiana, and woke up over New Jersey. It was great.

Coming home the plane was much fuller. It was a 5:00 p.m. flight. They loaded us all on, and closed the door. They then announced that we were facing a delay of an hour and a half because of wind in the Chi. However, they needed the gate, so we were going to park and wait. DOH! We had been due in the Chi at 7:09 Chi time. Now we were not leaving until 6:30 Chi time plus one. Not good.

I did what any experienced flyer would do at that point. I went to sleep. When I awoke, it was about 6:00 and we were in the air, but not tooooo high. We had clearly taken just taken off. It seemed rational to expect that we would arrive at about 8:00 Chi time. After all, we were due in at 7:09, and we left an hour late, so we should arrive an hour (or so) late. Sometimes they make up some time, but I didn't want to expect too much.

We arrived at 6:40 Chi time. That's a half hour early EVEN IF WE LEFT ON TIME! I know this is not an original rant, but if we can make that flight go as fast as we just did, why don't you schedule it like that and let me get home faster? In short, what the hell?

P.S. I failed in my personal challenge while in New York. I always like to see if I can go to New York and NOT ride in a cab. I took a bus from the airport to my hotel, and a combination of PATH train and NJ Transit back to the airport, as well as walking several trips, but I was in two cabs while I was there. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home