Sunday, May 07, 2006

WHERE WAS I?

This morning I got up, put on my Yomuri Giants hat, and went out. Thus, we have all American mutt (1/2 German, 1/4 Irish, 1/8 French Canadian, 1/8 Lithuanian) wearing his Japanese baseball cap. I drove a mile north to Devon Avenue. Devon and Western is the epicenter of the Indo-Pak neighborhood. There is so much retail on Devon that I was having trouble tracking the store signs. I headed west on Devon. I was on a mission.

At California Devon changes personalities. The neighborhood turns Russian, and Jewish. I don't know much (read: anything) about the groups that live there, but I saw a bunch of huge vehicles (SUVs, 12 passenger vans, etc.) driven by women with their hair covered. Interestingly, I wasn't looking for a Russian place, a Jewish place, or even a South Asian place. I was looking for the Argo Georgian Bakery.

Fortunately, I remembered that the place was near a place cleverly called "Afghan Restaurant." At 9:30 on a Sunday morning, parking was a snap. I went in and had zero idea what I wanted. I got two tapluna, which are like a piece of baklava wrapped in pastry and powdered with confectioner sugar (fantastic), four turnovers (two apple, two raspberry), and a loaf of puri, which is a huge, round bread. The puri is very chewey and sort of like a naked focaccia, but different. Very good. In fact, I split a piece and drizzled olive oil, pepper, and parmesan on the inside. Excellent.

The funny thing is that they gave me my stuff in a bag. I noticed that the bag had Russian written on it, which is different from Georgian, but I assumed it was for the bakery. Imagine my surprise when I got home and saw the bag pictured below. Apparently I went east, rather than west on Devon, and much further than I realized!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. I will most definitely check out the Georgian Bakery.

NAO

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose the bags fell off the truck on the way to f'in Brooklyn.
Why don't you call the NY bakery and let them know you found their bags.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home